The L Word

I recently read an article by Dr. Devon Price titled Laziness Does Not Exist
But Unseen Barriers Do and it resonated with me, both as an educator and a parent.

Dr. Price suggests we ask ourselves the following questions:

• What are the situational factors holding this student back?
  • What are the needs currently not being met?
  • When it comes to behavioral laziness, what are the barriers to action that I can’t see?

I cringe when I hear a student being called lazy. It is an over-generalization and very easy to place blame away from ourselves and onto a kid.

“It’s really helpful to respond to a person’s ineffective behavior with curiosity rather than judgment.” ~

Dr. Price

I spend my day with teenagers who are still figuring out what the world is all about. Heck, I am still figuring that out, also. Some subjects are easier than others. Judging kids based on outside appearances does not take care of the root problem – whatever that may be. Dr. Price suggests we respond with curiosity, and I will add – caring – to students perceived to be lazy.

Kids who feel disengaged with their learning need us, even though their actions may say otherwise. Even one student is worth all our time and efforts. We have to prove to students:

• We are not going anywhere
  • We believe in their efforts
  • We will stand by their side.

This isn’t an easy fix. Students will test our commitment. As adults, we need to overcome their mistrust, anxiety and fear.

Lazy is not a phrase we should use with our kids. Ever.

I commit myself to find the underlying cause of student struggles with compassion rather than labels.