My case against giving a zero

At the beginning of my career, I believed firmly in the power of a zero to teach students accountability and used it no matter the circumstances.  My philosophy changed after I learned a valuable lesson from a student.  A young lady came to me not knowing how to be a student.  She had also lived a life no child should have to endure.  Regardless, I was confident and secure in my decision making – zeros were my way to reinforce the importance of homework.  The first three quarters didn’t go well for her.

By late Spring, things started improving for my student.  She was happy, healthy and trying. It was exciting to witness.  The 35-week progress report came out, and she did the math – there was no way she would pass my course despite the recent turn of events.  Quite bluntly, she asked this question (and I will always hear her voice in my head) “Why did I even bother trying?” Good question.

Ever since that day, I have researched the power of zero and grading policies.  We service children, no matter what grade level.  There are many outside influences on students we have no control over.  Knowing this, how can I assign work outside of the school day? I can’t assure students receive the help and guidance necessary for a substantial learning experience.

The power of zero is just too much to overcome.  The lowest grade I give students at the end of a quarter is 50.  It is still a failing grade yet provides the possibility to pass the course with offered assistance and guidance.  Kids deserve second, third and fourth chances.

The debate over this topic is extensive, and both sides have one thing in common: we are trying to figure out the best way to teach accountability in life.

1 comment for “My case against giving a zero