The perfect lesson

“The imperative for continuing learning by teachers is not because their teaching is deficient; rather, it is that teaching is so hard that it is never perfect and can always be improved.” ~ Charlotte Danielson

As I wrap up my 15th teaching year, I find myself reflecting back on the past decade and a half. I never like to teach the same lesson from one year to the next. My rationale is the experience is made for my current kids and their needs/interests.

I have taught using the chalkboard & transparencies, then the projector and eventually the smartboard. At each stage of my career, I was sure I was doing the very best for my kids. I researched the lesson content, debated on the instructional style and reflected.

Was the lesson perfect? No. Was it deficient in any way? I hope not. I am sure some days were. I didn’t understand the importance of formative assessment early on in my career. I still felt, at the time, I was doing the best I could.

Charlotte Danielson’s quote speaks loudly to me in my current role. Introducing new ideas in teaching does not mean past practices were wrong. It means there is a potential to reach more kids with alternative methods. Back when I was using transparencies? I was positive I was at the top of my instructional practice. Times change. We need to, also. How we were taught is not how we should be teaching today. Practices evolve. We need to be open to new ideas and practices.

The search for the perfect lesson plan is a high that will never get old to me. I love it and hope I remain open to new ideas and practices for the next 15 years.