Never stop learning

The search for the perfect lesson is one of the most exciting things in education, in my opinion.  Whether your students are 4 or 94, the art of teaching is very much still alive in our current climate of high-stakes testing and standards.  How we teach is still up to us – and that should spark joy in all of us.

How we learned (____ years ago) is not how we should teach today.  The phrase “traditional methods” makes me think of chalkboards, worksheets, and homework.  Today’s students need to learn how to utilize the tools available.  We need to teach so students understand, not force kids to learn the way we teach.

While searching for that perfect lesson (17 years in, I have not found one), we need to be current in teaching methods and strategies.  This year is tough.  I have never been so incredibly tired every day.  But, the kids (or adults) in front of us deserve cutting-edge teaching.  We only have one shot, and it needs to be right.

As we are headed to 2022, what goal will you set for teaching? I challenge myself to continually look for new methods.  Will you join me? I promise it will be a great journey!