That one kid…

Our job, as educators, is to be on a constant path of learning in how to teach kids. To name a few, that learning includes the latest in edu-jargon, content knowledge and emotional/social needs.

Recently I am focusing on the emotional/social needs of kids in my learning.  Without knowing how the circumstances of kids impact their learning, edu-jargon and content knowledge will get me nowhere.  I wish I realized that 15 years ago at the beginning of my career.

Right now I am working with kids in a Summer School program.  Many students come with needs that are far beyond the academics in a course.  That is something I try to wrap my head around.  I want to help fix what is happening, but I don’t have the tools in many cases.

Here are my top five focus areas: 

1. Every day is a fresh start:  No matter what. Go out of your way to make sure the student knows this.  They are waiting for one look or one comment to prove you don’t believe in them.
  2. Meet the student where they are at:  Give them a pencil. A pen. Paper. A breakfast bar. A pass to leave the room and do a lap around the building. I think of the times I am feeling pressure due to outside circumstances, but I need to power through my day.  Then I think about how can a 15 year do this?
  3. Tardy and/or absences: Be happy to see them.  Work can wait.  Think about the kid who hears every period of the day “Where were you? do you know what you missed?”  I encourage kids to make a list of what is owed, and I am happy to sit down at the end of the day to help prioritize.
  4. Late work and homework: When I am in a workshop all day, I am exhausted.  I think of kids in school and realized a few years ago homework should not be assigned and late work should be accepted.  I can’t control what kids or families do after 3pm.  I don’t feel I can impose my demands on precious time.
  5. No child is lazy: There are so many reasons why a kid does not have their homework finished or fails a test.  Never assume.

I hope to spend the remaining 15(ish) years of my career being a cheerleader for kids and the adults who love and support them every day.