Persistence, Hope and Enthusiasm

My goals throughout my career are three-fold:

• To be persistent in the quest for the ultimate best lesson for students;
  • Continue to hope and fully support current teaching methods are in the best interests of our children; and
  • Be present and enthusiastic in all interactions with staff, students, and families.

It’s not that I’m so smart, it’s just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein

The search for the perfect lesson is a goal I persist on every day, even though I know it is not attainable.  There is always a better way to teach topics.  What works one year was tailored for the students in front of me at that moment.  The challenge from year to year is to match lessons and activities to our current charges.  Creating an experience to include content, skills, and choice in proving mastery is something I love to do!

We must accept finite disappointment but never lose infinite hope. ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

Our profession is in the midst of constant change and flux.  It can be frustrating to know mandates are forced on us by politicians, not educators.  I work hard on placing my focus on areas I can impact.  (I admit at times that occurs after I have a pity session) I will continue to have the hope decisions in pedagogy and curriculum are made with the best interests of students at heart.  Otherwise, I fear I will become disenfranchised with the profession.

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. ~Winston Churchill

I hope, until the day I retire, I go through my day with enthusiasm for tasks and the goals.  That does not mean there won’t be challenging days along the way.  In fact, this is the most difficult year of my career in many ways – professionally and personally.  My goal of enthusiasm is a promise to myself that I will have a growth mindset, focus on attaining my goals and be open to new, exciting ideas.  Some days I will fail in crossing anything off my to-do list.  It may mean I sit in my office on Sundays (guilty of that right now).  Either way, I love it and hope I continue to feel the same until I pass the baton to the next generation of hopeful, enthusiastic teachers who will persevere through their challenges.