Outward appearances can be deceiving: Who defines parent involvement?

How do educators define parent involvement? Do we judge based on the amount of participation at sporting events, parent conferences and in responses (or lack thereof) in communications from the school?

I know a Dad who didn’t attend the vast majority of athletic contests for his three children, missed all parent conferences and rarely discussed grades or classes.  The school most likely identified this parent as not involved and wondered why.  This assessment couldn’t be further from the truth.

Typically, parent conferences are during the workday. Parents can’t always attend a meeting at 10:00 or even 3:00.  Missing a couple of hours of pay is not in the budget, no matter how much they would love to attend.  How many of our families have a parent working 2nd or 3rd shift? How can we better align our evening and daytime parent-involved activities to allow for more families to join? Overstressed families are relieved their loved one is in school and well cared for.  Sometimes problems outside of their control do not allow for involvement in school events.  That should never be translated to not caring.

The Dad in the story above? He worked two full-time jobs as a carpenter and farmer.  He raised three kids who are all professionals in their chosen career.  He is my Dad.  His schedule didn’t align with the school.  And that is OK.  My Dad worked seven days a week to support his family. He is the model of hard work that makes me who I am today.

The next time you have a situation with a seemingly uninvolved parent, take the time to understand the situation and do what you can to meet the family half way.  Don’t judge. Outward appearances can be deceiving!